Sunday, August 3, 2008

coconut-molasses stir fried veggies

We have hit harvest time, the time of abundance. Fresh veggies are coming out our ears, so it seems. What better way to enjoy lots of veggies at once than a quick & easy (and of course, delicious) stir fry.

We just had this for lunch. Lily just told me that she's "not really a big fan of this stir fry." When I asked her what didn't she like, she said the "taste of all of it." Well, then. Aevryn and I thought it was great. Aevryn is also currently eating a wedge of lemon. Make that, Aevryn is currently spitting out a wedge of lemon. So, perhaps her palette is suspect. Lily and I just had a conversation about when you don't like something, the cook isn't going to jump right up and make you a brand new meal. I offered to let her forage in the fridge for a meal or she could try her stir fry again. Guess who's decided the stir fry is good after all (once we took out the onions)? Gotta love my houseful of negative first responders.

INGREDIENTS:
  • Whatever veggies you have on hand. We used: cauliflower, broccoli, onions, green onions, cilantro, left over shredded cabbage, left over shredded kolrabi
  • roughly 1/2 cup or so of bone broth (we freeze ours in pint-sized jars so that we always have broth on hand). You can easily sub water.
  • roughly 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • coconut oil
  • juice of half a lemon
  • sea salt
  • pepper
  • 1/4 cup or so nutritional yeast
  • 1 TBSP molasses
  • I would have added ginger, were it in the house. I thought it was when I started gathering my ingredients. Oh well. Blame it on the kitchen gnomes.
I feel compelled to make it known that I really don't measure out my ingredients. I do pinches and handfulls and drizzles and squeezes. My measurements here are really just approximations.

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Saute onions (& ginger).
  2. Add bone broth, veggies (including herbs), coconut oil. Season with salt & pepper.
  3. Simmer until veggies are tender. (When the broccoli turns bright green, you know it's done!)
  4. Add molasses, coconut milk, nutritional yeast. Stir well.
  5. Simmer until liquid is mostly absorbed and a thick sauce remains.
Yield: lunch for one adult (with an admittedly healthy appetite) and two small children.

ALTERNATIVES:
  • Serve over rice or rice noodles.
  • Add seafood or chicken or beef.
  • Try honey instead of molasses.

No comments: