Saturday, August 9, 2008

Tortilla Strata


Our brown rice tortillas fill a nice niche. They allow us to have taco-esque meals with a modicum of normality. Just a scootch, however, since they will. not. roll. At least, not without breaking. As stated before, Dave just gives up and eats them with a fork. Lily rips them up and makes "mini tacos." I somehow hold them together at the perfect tension until the last few bites when they fall apart spectacularly.

I like the ease of having a "convenience" food available to us (there are so few), so that I'm not stuck cooking every single ingredient from scratch every single night. In theory, I'd love to do that. In practice, some evenings, the kids just are just glued to me and every second spent in the kitchen is torture to them. Or so one would assume from the constant, blood-curdling screams. Or that could just be my kids.

So, while I like their convenience, I do not like their uncooperative nature. The enchiladas helped by softening the tortillas, but I still had to roll them first (which, of course, resulted in breakage). Also, I think I would like to make a better enchilada sauce next time. In the mean time, I thought I would work with the round shape of the tortillas instead of trying to convince them to bend smoothly. I decided that layering tortillas and filling in a round cake pan would do just the trick. And it worked!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 package (6 count) brown rice tortillas
  • 1/2 cup bone broth or water
  • onion, diced
  • 2-3 bunches kolrabi greens (from my garden!)
  • 1 large zucchini, diced
  • 2 large tomatoes, peeled & seeded
  • cilantro
  • olive oil
  • sea salt & pepper to taste
  • handful of paprika
  • handful of cumin
  • large pinch of coriander
  • small pinch of allspice
  • small pinch of clove
  • black olives
  • 1 avocado
  • shredded (raw) cabbage
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Saute onions in olive oil, with sea salt.
  2. Add tomatoes, zucchini, broth & spices, including cilantro.
  3. Simmer for a few minutes, until tomatoes & zucchini are soft.
  4. Add kolrabi greens, simmer until they turn bright green and soften.
  5. Blend everything in a blender or food processor until smooth.
  6. Pour a little olive oil in the bottom of a round cake pan (or square casserole dish larger than the tortillas).
  7. Place the first tortilla in the pan.
  8. Add 2 or 3 spoonfuls of sauce and spread around to edges.
  9. Repeat, layering tortillas and sauce.
  10. The last tortilla will set on top. Spread with a little bit of olive oil.
  11. Garnish with olives & cilantro leaves.
  12. Bake at 350*F for 15 or so minutes.
We ate ours with shredded raw cabbage, diced avocado, and black olives. If we'd had fresh salsa ready, we would have eaten that, too.

Yield: 8 slices. Enough for our family of four. If there was another side, it would easily serve four adults.

ALTERNATIVES:
  • Add meat or grains or beans or potatoes.
  • Try different greens.
  • Add mushrooms.
  • Add broccoli or peppers or other vegetables.
  • Serve with shredded lettuce instead of cabbage.
  • Serve with salsa.

3 comments:

Maria said...

Have you tried steaming them first! I was so frustrated that ours wouldn't roll and then I tried steaming them. Voila! Hop this helps!

d e v a n said...

yum. Those look good!

Nessa said...

Tuan's princess: ooh, that's a really good idea. We'll try it next time. Thanks!