I love frosting. I grew up in a house where it was perfectly acceptable to eat it out of the fridge with a spoon (as long as no one caught you, that is - but we all did it). In particular, I love chocolate butter cream frosting. Believe it or don't, but I have come up with VEGAN butter cream recipe that you would never guess was dairy or soy free. The secret is in the palm oil shortening. Spread the word. Palm oil shortening is also good for making french fries in a cast iron skillet. Versatile and delicious. And super allergy-friendly. Yay for palm oil.
- 1/2 cup palm oil shortening, slightly chilled is best
- 1/4 cup rice milk
- 1 cup cornstarch-free powdered sugar*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream shortening and rice milk with a hand mixer.
- Slowly add powdered sugar until you get a nice frosting consistency. If it's too stiff, add more rice milk. If it's too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the frosting for chocolate butter cream.
- Use cold coffee or espresso instead of all or part of the rice milk for coffee butter cream. You can also sub out vanilla and sub in coffee extract.
- Use coffee AND cocoa for mocha butter cream.
- If you can do nuts, sub out vanilla for almond extract.