Friday, July 18, 2008

zucchini fritters

I'm getting a little "grained-out" in the morning, so those soaked pancakes will have to wait another day.

We went to the farmer's market on Wednesday and got some amazingly delicious (and large) zucchini. They were so beautiful (and cheap) that I got a bit more than we could use in a week. Thus a zucchini brainstorm yielded this easy and nutritious meal/snack.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 large zucchini, grated
  • 1 egg
  • approx 1/4 cup rice milk
  • approx 1/2 cup sorghum flour
  • sea salt
  • safflower oil

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Grate zucchini, sprinkle with sea salt
  2. mix egg, sorghum flour, rice milk and grated zucchini
  3. drop by small spoonfuls into heated safflower oil
  4. turn them over when you can see the edges getting golden
  5. put on wax or parchment paper to cook. sprinkle liberally with salt.
Lily liked to dip hers in basalmic vinegar. Aevryn just ate bits and pieces as she ran around the living room. I thought they were fairly good - I admit I'm not a huge zucchini fan, so my recipes tend to be along the lines of "how can I hide this wonderful veggie so I don't have to taste it so much?" I think they would be fantastic dipped in homemade spicy mayo.

Yield: 16 small-medium sized fritters

ALTERNATIVES:
  • (Vegan): use flax meal gel instead of egg (1 Tbsp flax meal to 3 Tbsp water, whisked & heated in microwave, per egg)
  • add grated onions or chives
  • add carrots and bean sprouts and an extra egg and you get egg foo young
  • add fresh herbs - cilantro or parsely or basil

No comments: